The fee for Co-Own for Over 55s is paid in two stages:
- Assessment fee: £100 is payable when you apply and we assess your financial position.
- Property fee: £500 is payable when you upload your property details. For this you will receive a detailed property assessment of the home including condition and value and a significant contribution to your solicitor costs. This is subsidised significantly by Co-Ownership.
The amount of rent you pay will depend on the value of your home and your share of it. The yearly rent is set at 2.5% of the value of the Co-Ownership share and is reviewed annually. That’s £25 for every £1,000 we own. This rent is lower than what you would pay if you were renting privately.
For example, if we have invested £24,000, your monthly rental payments to us will be £50 per month (2.5% of £24,000 divided by 12 months).
Some other things to note about rent for Co-Own for Over 55s:
- Rent is charged from the day of completion in the month that you become a co-owner and continues until the property is sold or you buy us out. At that point, rent is charged for the number of days you are a customer in that month.
- Rent is reviewed annually.
- Rent is due at the start of each month, payable in advance by Direct Debit, and includes any ground rent due.
- Through Experian’s Rental Exchange, making your payment on time will show on your credit report. Equally, if you do not make your payments on time, this could negatively impact your credit report.
If you would like to read more about how we set and review our rent, please click here.
The table shows examples of how much monthly rent you could expect to pay depending on the price of the property and the share you hope to buy. For the full rent table please click here.